Monday, August 19, 2013

New places, new adventures

This is a difficult post for me to write, because ever since I first decided I wanted to come to Spain, I dreamt of being in Andalucia. I was blessed to get an auxiliar job in Cadiz, Andalucia, and two amazing years later, I still love it as much as I knew I would. Whats not to love about beautiful southern Spain? The dancing, the beaches, the sun, the ferias, the pueblos blancos, the fiestas, the cervecitas, laid back attitude, the list could go on and on.

What's not to love?

Despite my guiri (foreign) accent, I can honestly say I was beginning to feel comfortable and at home in charming, seaside Cadiz- I was becoming Amerigaditana, if you will. I was foreign, but I fit in. I know the customs, I like the food, I've learned the slang, I'm a diehard fan of the local futbol team. Even the name of my blog comes from a local saying that expresses a strong pride of being gaditano (from Cadiz) -- and I probably won't change it!

Sorry dude, not everyone can be from Cadiz! 

When I first learned that I was placed in Vigo, Galicia, (Northern Spain, near the border of Portugal) for the 2013-2014 school year, I was devastated. Move away from my beloved Cadiz? No way, not happening! I can't leave the place that I've grown to know and love, where I've spent the past 2 years making friends, gathering clients,
and making my home. However, due to my lack of control over Spanish bureaucracy I am left with little choice- my job is in Galicia, I'm going to Galicia. Once I came to grips with this reality, all the little positive aspects of the move started making their way into my subconscious... This is going to be an entirely new adventure! I will do things, see things, and experience things that I never would have done/seen/experienced otherwise. I fell in love with Cadiz (and Andalucia), who is to say that I won't fall equally in love with an entirely new city, province, and culture?


To prepare myself, I've made a (albeit short) list of what I know about the province of Galicia:

-It is very cold and rainy:

New raincoat already in the budget

-They eat a LOT of seafood:


Galician logic is that if it swims, you eat it


-They speak weird Spanish:



This is a map showing the breakdown of the different dialects that Spain has.


I'm sure I'll have a lot more to add to the list very shortly... Because for better or for worse, full of excitement and dread, I'm saying "Hasta luego, Andalucia" and "See you soon, Galicia!" Keep reading for more updates.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment